Married Counselors Episode 2-2015
In this week’s episode, The Married Counselors, Ron and Lexie Lee, discuss the topic of letting go and forgiving difficult situations.
Some problems are hard to let go. These may include physical and emotional infidelity, financial issues, or breaking plans or agreements.
Letting go does not mean you’re letting somebody off the hook or ignoring the problem. Letting go means that you are addressing the issue, but letting go of how your partner responds.
Six Steps for Letting Go and Granting Forgiveness:
1. Acknowledge your pain and anger. Allow yourself to feel disrespected.
Feelings are meant to be expressed and you have to name them to tame them.
2. Be specific about your future expectations and limits.
Set clear boundaries.
3. Give up your right to “get even, make your point” but insists on being treated better in the future.
If you are trying to score points, then you are not operating as a team. You don’t score points against your own team.
4. Let go of blame, resentment, and negativity toward the other person.
By not letting go, we can cause resentment and emotions may pop up in other areas of the relationship.
5. Communicate your act of forgiveness to the other person.
6. Work toward re-conciliation.
Try to get life back to normal as soon as possible.